We are excited to announce we have brought on a new co-director, Katie Hsu. Katie will work closely with Angelina and the rest of the staff to help oversee the Montessori program. Katie comes to us with over 10 years’ experience as a teacher and director. Her two children, Kamden and Peyton will be attending school with us too. Katie will start Monday June 26. Please help us give the Hsus a warm welcome!
Well, Summer Camp is off to a great start! We had a great time exploring Transportation. We started off the week talking about land, air and water which is a classic Montessori presentation. These are the 3 things that make up our earth and it is a basis for all the modes of transportation we use. Tuesday we talked about many of the forms of transportation and how they move (on land, air or water!)
Monday, we painted with matchbox car tires. It is free art with no instructions! We also began coloring our large transportation cut-outs. See the pictures from Friday when we go to try them on for size. The kids even requested the teachers race each other! Tuesday, we made airplanes and rockets and made a car wash for our painted cars. Wednesday, we raced cars and made red/green/yellow stoplights. Thursday we made ice boats and saw used them for a boat race! Friday was a wrap up day with a fun school bus snack!
Use the information above to talk to your children about what they learned!
Next week is Outer Space. We plan to talk about the planets in our solar system, the sun, the phases of the moon, asteroids, comets and more! Crafts will include making outer space sun catchers, a few solar system art projects, studying art such as Vincent Van Gogh’s Starry Night, and we’ll learn some cool songs.
Some administrative notes…
- Our Sandbox billing software only lets one parent (email) log in to see your account balance. If you are the parent who wants to handle the online account and you can’t log in to see your balance, or your balance constantly says $0, that means I have the wrong parent selected! Please send an email to email@example.com with your name and we’ll update it in the system.
- If you’re not on our text message system, please text @noviwoodsm to the number 81010. We use it for last minute announcements or any important info such as closures.
- Please bring your child’s swimsuit and towel every day. We may not do water activities each day, but we will do them throughout the week and this way you’ll be prepared!
- The sign in sheets are changing slightly. They will return back to an alphabetical format, not separated by class.
- The hot lunch list didn’t go so well this week. Look for a new sign up sheet on Monday that will have each student’s name pre-printed and you can check which days you’d like to buy hot lunch. Lunches will be billed each day or two.
- Remember, we are closed 7/3 and 7/4. If you don’t plan to come Wednesday-Friday but are signed up, please let us know ASAP so we can staff appropriately.
- Older children (completed Kindergarten and above) are encouraged to bring a language and math workbook specific to their level. Please also bring a book to read.
Please check out our slideshow below for some pictures over the last few weeks. They include a bike day from earlier in June, crazy hair day, hat day, the tea party, the school picnic and a few from this week at summer camp!