Welcome to Novi Woods Montessori! As we begin our journey with you, please take time to review the following items to bring and some daily policies and procedures.
Preschool/Kindergarten: Class starts at 8:30am
- Please bring the following:
- A small backpack
- A complete change of clothes including socks and underwear. Pack these in a gallon-size ziplock bag labeled with your child’s first and last name. This should stay in your child’s backpack each day.
- Simple slippers to stay in the classroom (please avoid bulky slippers with characters). Click HERE for an example
- Close-toed shoes safe for outdoor play (athletic shoes are best)
- Weather appropriate outerwear. We go outside every day, weather permitting
- A healthy lunch! Include a cloth place mat/napkin. Use an ice pack if the lunch needs to stay cold. We cannot store lunch boxes in our refrigerator. If your child’s lunch needs to be reheated, please drop it off at the kitchen upon arrival. If you wish to sign your child up for hot lunch, please do so before 10:00 am.
- A water bottle labeled with your child’s first and last name (label this every day!)
- Sunscreen and/or Bug spray. These cannot be in an aerosol can. A medication form is required.
- Preschoolers who nap: A crib-sized sheet and blanket, no pillows, all in a small tote bag. Label everything. Bedding is required to be taken home at the end of each week for laundering.
- Uniforms are worn Monday-Thursday during the academic year which is a light blue top and dark blue pants/skirt/jumper. See below for examples of uniforms– these are just examples, so feel free to shop around– places to look are Target, Old Navy, Walmart, Meijer and more:
Toddlers: Class starts at 8:30am
- A complete change of clothes including socks and about 6 pairs of underwear. Click HERE for an example.
- A healthy lunch! Include a cloth placemat/napkin. Use an ice pack if the lunch needs to stay cold. We cannot store lunch boxes in our refrigerator. If your child’s lunch needs to be reheated, please drop it off at the kitchen upon arrival.If you wish to sign your child up for hot lunch, please do so before 10:00am.
- A sippy cup or water bottle, labeled clearly with your child’s first and last name every day
- A crib-sized sheet and blanket, no pillows, all in a small tote bag. Bedding is required to be taken home at the end of each week for laundering
- Diapers, wipes, diaper cream (labeled with your child’s name—diaper cream requires a medication form)
Policies and Procedures
Arrival and Departure: Please arrive on time for drop-off and pick-up. Regular late arrivals will result in your child missing important lessons and presentations. Sign your child in and out every day on the Timeclock kiosk above the fish tank. Your pass code is the last 4 digits of your cell phone and your first and last initial. Instructions are found HERE. You must authorize any individual other than a parent to pick up your child. If a staff member does not recognize the individual picking up your child, they will ask for identification and match that to our records of who is authorized to pick up your child. Please inform any grandparents, babysitters, etc. to bring their identification so they are prepared. Safety is our first priority. The door code will be given to you on your first day.
Tuition: Please drop off your tuition check when tuition is due and place it in the tuition box near the sign in sheets. CLEARLY label your check with your child’s first and last name and for what you are paying. Remember most banks offer online banking and you can set up automatic payments mailed directly to us. You may also set up a direct debit method of payment in Sandbox which allows you to quickly log in and pay through that system each time a payment is due- no checks needed. Instructions are HERE. Cash MUST be given to an administrator and a receipt must be requested at the time of payment. Novi Woods Montessori cannot be held responsible for missing cash payments without a receipt. If you would like to see your account at any time or print statements, receipts, etc. you can do that through the Sandbox Parent Portal (see instructions below).
- noviwoods.com: Check our website regularly. Our calendar is there and can be imported into your google calendar
- firstname.lastname@example.org: This is the best way to get in touch. We check it regularly throughout the day.
- Sandbox Parent Portal: Once you are in our system, you will be sent an email to log into the parent portal. You can check balances, update contact information and send us messages.
- noviwoods.com/blog: You will be sent this link via email each week with an updated newsletter. This will be updated with upcoming events, newsletters and pictures!
- We will add you to our Emergency Text Message system called Remind. You will get a text from a random number that says you have been added to Remind for 2018-2019 Novi Woods. You can use it like texting, or download the app.
- If you need to speak with your child’s teacher, please do so between 8:00-8:30, 11:30-12:30 or 3:30-4:00. Please do not interrupt class. This is the time for the teachers to be instructing the students. If you arrive at school late, please drop your child off with an administrator and they will walk your child in to class.
- There is a notebook above the fish tank for parents to jot down any reminders (child will be out of town, a grandparent will pick up, etc.) These kind of notes can also be communicated through email.
Hot Lunch: If your child will be eating hot lunch, please sign them up before 10:00am. There is a hot lunch signup sheet near the attendance sign in. The cost is $3 per lunch. The menu is posted on a bulletin board near the sign in sheets. We cannot offer multiple options per day, so please do not ask for substitutions (i.e. pancakes on pizza day). We do not always have substitutions available.
Medication: If your child must take prescription or over the counter medications at the center for any reason, please notify a staff member. In accordance of state guidelines, you must sign a Medication Permission Form and adhere to all rules put in place by the state. All medication must be in its original packaging and Novi Woods Montessori will only administer medications according to its labels’ instructions. You are taking full responsibility for any unforeseen reactions your child may have to any medication you ask us to dispense. The medication form can be found HERE
Illness: To protect all children at Novi Woods Montessori, your child will not be accepted at the center if he/she has any of the following symptoms: a fever, a rash or eye infection that has not been diagnosed, or any diarrhea or vomiting. Children must be symptom free WITHOUT MEDICATION for 24 hours before returning to school. If your child develops any symptoms while in the center, he/she will be isolated from the other children, parents will be contacted by phone, and the child must be picked up within one hour of that phone call.
Labeling: State Licensing requires all food supplies to be labeled every day with your child’s first and last name, the contents and the date. All other supplies must be labeled with your child’s name including blankets and sheets.
Parking Lot Safety & Drop off: Please be careful in the parking lot!! Go slow and watch for children who may dart out from in between cars. If you arrive late, please check in with the office and we will assist your child in to class. Please do not interrupt a class in session or ask to talk to the teacher while she is instructing the class. If you have messages for your child’s teacher or the office, have a note prepared or call/email the office.
Pick up at the end of the day: When you pick your child up, sign them out on the iPad. If someone other than a parent is picking up, they MUST be listed on the emergency card and they MUST bring a valid driver’s license. There are absolutely no exceptions to this rule and you may not add anyone to the emergency card verbally or over the phone. If you pick your child up after their scheduled time, you will be charged $12 for every hour or portion of every hour you are late. If you pick your child up after our 6:00 pm closing time, you will be charged $1/minute and that is payable directly to the staff member caring for your child. This is not a service we provide on a daily basis and so regular late pickups can result in cancellation of your child’s enrollment.
Sandbox Parent Portal: The Parent Portal allows you to see your child’s account, update any contact information and see and print statements. You can also communicate with the office by leaving messages through the portal. Once you have completed the online registration, you will be sent a parent portal invite. When you click on that link you can make a password. Only the parent set up as the payer will be able to access billing information. If both parents would like to access billing information, we suggest both parents use the same email and password to log in. Any time you would like to access your parent portal go to the following website (best to bookmark it!) Sandbox Parent Portal
Parent Portal Highlights: Once you’re logged in to the portal, click on the following tabs at the top:
- News: You’ll see any notifications for unread messages, your balance due and anything that has been posted in the newsfeed
- Messages: You can leave the office any billing questions and more.
- Billing: Only the parent set up as the payer is able to see billing information. You will see your balance at the top. You will see all of your invoices at a glance. Next to the invoice is the billing period for those invoices. You can click on an individual invoice to see a detailed description or to print it. You can also click on a payment and print receipts for those as well.
- Child Info: You can update any information such as name, birthdate, photo, and medical information.
- Calendar: This shows your child’s enrollment
- Attendance: This will show when your child was signed in and out via the kiosk
- Daily Logs: This is not being used at this time
- Contacts: IMPORTANT! This is the place to add emergency contacts and authorized pickups.
- Under Guardians, please make sure the parents’ information is correct and up to date with phone numbers (especially cell phone numbers).
- Under Contacts, please do not repeat parents’ information. This is a place to add emergency contacts other than parents and those who may pick up your child other than parents (grandparents, neighbors, babysitters, etc.) Their cell phone must be included. They will have to sign your child in and out at the kiosk as well and they will use the last 4 digits of their cell phone and initials or you need to give them your information to sign in and out. Please advise them to see the office to assist with the kiosk the first time.
- Under Family Doctor, please make sure the information is correct and up to date.
- Settings: You can change your login password and your Timeclock Pin in the Account Info. Under Notifications, you can set up email notices.
- Under Settings, you can also add a bank account if you’d like to eliminate the need to write a tuition check. You have the option to log in to the parent portal and pay tuition yourself, or for Novi Woods to directly debit your account each due date for you. Please follow the directions HERE